Tuesday 7 September 2010

Reunion September 6th 2010








This year's reunion at the Imperial Hotel in Russell Square, Holborn was a splendid affair for a number of reasons

Amongst the "happenings", was a visit by the Gentle Author of the Spitalfields Life Blog who had been invited to attend by the committee following his previous excellent article about club life.
Spitalfields Life.
On the evening, he very generously brought along with him some 100 maps of the Arnold Circus area, plus DVDs and other info, and these were in place at the tables for club members to take home with them.

Go to: http://spitalfieldslife.com/ for his brilliant report on the reunion and revel with me at his super, evocative photos of this very special event.

Our excellent Guest speaker was Grant Cornwell CEO of Tottenham Hotspur Foundation and he made comparison with the work that his Foundation does for the youth of today with C&BG's own excellent record.

Many members had turned up despite their obvious frailty and how delighted we were to see, for example, Syd Tabor who, I must remind you all, wrote the words to our Club song.

Our hard-working Maxie Lea also managed to surprise Monty Meth with a super book all about the Spurs (one of Monty's passions) which was awarded to Monty by the committee, on behalf of the club, for his stalwart work as Chairman of the club for so many years.

The Hiller boys really triumphed this year and resounding shouts of "More !" brought them back for one reprise.

In short, a splendid time was had by all, including yours truly !

Today I received the following e-mail from Conor Maloney-Hill which I believe is self-explanatory:

Dear old boys of the Cambridge and Bethnal Green and New Cambridge Boys’ Clubs,

My name’s Conor, and I’m a researcher at a TV production company called Century Films. Some of you will be aware that we’re currently producing a documentary for BBC Two about the history of London, and that we’re investigating the past 120 years of specific areas, one of those being the Boundary Estate.

Thank you for having me as a guest at your 86th anniversary on Monday night. I was made to feel especially welcome, and I felt honoured to be there. I had a very enjoyable time and some fascinating conversations about life on the Boundary Estate.

However, there were a lot of old boys I didn’t get a chance to meet, so I’m sure there are still a lot of great stories to be found. If you feel you have anything you can tell us about life on the Boundary Estate, please get in touch. Maybe you even had ancestors who lived in the Old Nichol, before the Boundary Estate was built. If so, we would love to hear from you.

You can call us on 020 7378 6106,or email us at: historystreet@centuryfilmsltd.com

Finally, if you are reading this, leave us a comment to let us know you have called and don't forget to trot along to http://spitalfieldslife.com/ to read that full report and see some wonderful photos
Spitalfields Life.

ps
I have had a delightful letter from Australia asking me to label the pictures above & I am glad to oblige.
1. John Bush and his son Nigel
2. Martin Markey
3. Tony & Irving Hiller
4. Monty Meth & Maxie Lea
5. " "
6. The Guest List (I was sitting on Table 3)
7. Syd Tabor

Since the reunion I have received the following letter from one of the guests who has chosen to remain anonymous.

I RECENTLY WENT WITH MY FATHER TO THE 2010 CLUB REUNION. I HAVE BEEN BEFORE AND IT IS QUITE APPARENT TO ME THAT THE MEMBERS GET A GREAT DEAL OF PLEASURE SEEING OLD FRIENDS. I SUPPOSE THAT ON AVERAGE IN EXCESS OF 100 PEOPLE MEET AND THEN SIT DOWN FOR DINNER.

IT IS CLEAR THAT ONE OF THE MOST ENJOYABLE ELEMENTS OCCURS PRIOR TO THE MEAL WHEN MEMBERS TALK TO OLD FRIENDS. THE BUZZ AND ATMOSPHERE IN THAT ROOM IS ALMOST PALPABLE AND ALTHOUGH IT IS GREAT GOING WITH MY FATHER, I FEEL A LITTLE BIT LIKE AN INTRUDER. BUT I AM SURE THAT MANY FATHERS FEEL A TWANG OF PRIDE BEING ABLE TO SAY; THAT’S MY SON OR GRANDSON.

WHEN I WAS YOUNGER I DID NOT WANT TO GO, FOR ALL MANNER OF REASONS, BUT IN A FUNNY WAY I REGRET NOT GOING A FEW YEARS EARLIER. THIS YEAR THE GUEST SPEAKER WAS FROM SPURS. GREAT FOR MOST OF THE SPEECH, BUT HE FINISHED OFF WITH JOKES AT OUR COMPETITORS EXPENSE. I WAS NOT TOO KEEN ON THIS AND I CAN SAY THIS AS A SPURS SUPPORTER.

THIS YEAR WAS THE 2ND YEAR IN THE NEW VENUE, ON RUSSELL SQUARE, AND I THINK IT WAS A GOOD MOVE. THE VENUE GIVES THE MEMBERS TIME AND SPACE TO CHAT AND THE FOOD IS GREAT. I AM SURE SOME MIGHT COMPLAIN, BUT WHEN YOU HAVE IN EXCESS OF 100 PEOPLE TO PLEASE, IT IS HARD TO PLEASE EVERYONE. THIS REUNION COINCIDED WITH A TUBE STRIKE AND I TOLD MY FATHER IT WOULD PREVENT A LOT OF PEOPLE FROM ATTENDING. NOT A BIT OF IT. THE PLACE WAS PACKED AND THE DISSRUPTION HAD LITTLE EFFECT. OF COURSE IF I WAS TO THINK BACK, COMPARED TO MANY OBSTACLES WHICH OCCURED IN THE PAST, A TUBE STRIKE WAS OF VERY LITTLE INCONVENIENCE.

I THINK THAT MEMBERS MIGHT LIKE TO KEEP IN TOUCH WITH EACH OTHER DURING THE YEAR AND PERHAPS NEXT YEAR MEMBERS COULD BE ASKED IF THEY WANT TO GIVE THEIR LAND LINE, MOBILE, EMAIL ETC. TO OTHER MEMBERS SO THAT THEY COULD DO THIS.

ANYWAY, I ENJOY IT, I ENJOY SEEING MY FATHER SO HAPPY WHEN HE SEES OLD FRIENDS AND FEELING A LITTLE BIT WARM BEFORE THE WINTER SETS IN IS A GOOD THING.

Anon

No comments: